Interview with Luke Mc Gillewie
1. Tell us about yourself:
My name is Luke McGillewie. I was born in Margate (Kent, UK). Im 13 years old now and we moved down to Cape Town, South Africa in 1999. Back then, since I was 5 years old I started flying the little triangular kites on the beach. In 2006 I had a go on the real thing. I was instantly hooked.
2. Where do you live?
In a little suburb close to Cape Town (South Africa) called Flamingo Vlei.
3. How old are you?
Ive just turned 13 (25 December 1994)
4. Where do you go to school?
Blouberg Ridge Primary school
5. Do you like going to school?
6. What subjects do you like the most at school and why?
Natural science is my favourite subject and I like being on the water as much as possible.
7. Which are your favourite teachers and why?
Funny why I'm not answering this one.
8. Who are your favourite friends at the moment?
Anyone that is keen to do down winders with me are always my friends.
9. How did you get involved and interested in kiteboarding?
I met Grant Ross at his shop one day just over a year ago and I just kept going back to visit them. Soon I started giving a hand and doing things around the shop for them. Grant then gave me a 1.5 foil kite and that's were it all started...
10. What do you like doing most if the wind is not blowing?
I enjoy going onto the internet and chilling, often I also enjoy going for a surf.
11. I believe you just got a waterproof mp3 player! What songs are you going to put on there?
…anything and every thing. I prefer music that that makes me amped for my session and some chilled stuff as well, nothing specific really.
12. What is your favourite kite and why?
I will have to say that it goes to the Cabrinha switchblade 3.
13. What does your kite gear consist of ?
My boards are the Cabrinha 118 Imperial and a 5.3 Cabrinha s-quad, I fly a Cabrinha Switchblade 3, a XXS Cabrinha Deluxe Waist and a Deluxe Seat Harness, I have a reef wet suit (but would like to get a Quicksilver one sometime soon) and of course I get chauffeur driven in the luxury of in a Vito 112tdi (downdwindshuttle.com).
14. What is your favourite move?
15. What move are you working on at the moment?
16. Who do you kite with most of the time?
17. What do you like the most about kiting?
I think its when you just lose your self - its the best.
18. Is there any move you would love to do but just cant do right now yet?
19. What do you want to do when you leave school?
Definitely the would tour.
20. Because its that time of the year, tell us some of your secrets. How many valentines do you have this year?
Me to know and you to find out.
21.Who are your sponsors?
Firstly, from the start it has always been Cabrinha Kiteboarding South Africa and if I need something they will help me get it or achieve it. Downwindshuttle.com has helped me tons (I do so many down winders and they are always there to fetch me every time) and they pay for all my entries to the comps and if I need to travel the two together will make a plan for me. Both my sponsors are really good to me and I would like to thank them for that.