Presented by Jeep Apparel and the Independent on Saturday, this wave-riding festival takes place on the weekend of November 1 and 2 at Scottburgh main beach on the KZN South Coast.
“Nerve Events is really proud to be staging the sixth edition of the South Coast Surf Carnival which has already attracted a host of the country’s top watermen and women to take part. We are encouraging others to enter before all of the slots are filled to avoid disappointment and also to book accommodation soon as it is a very busy weekend for the mid-south coast,” commented Paul Godwin, event organizer from Nerve Events.
“Ok.” I hear you thinking, “But what’s in it for me?” I’ll give you six good reasons to get your hands on an entry form!
1. Opening night party - There is an official registration evening which will take place at Phatboyz restaurant on the beach at 18h00 on Friday October 31 – all the competitors get spoilt, in an stunning location right on Scottburgh’s main beach, that serves ice cold beers..
2. Its easy - South Coast Surf Carnival entry forms are available from the Durban Surf Coffee Shop, Larmont Surf Shop and on www.salsa.co.za or contact you can contact email@example.com
3. You can make it a mini holiday -For accommodation listings please contact Paul Godwin on 031-201-2169 or 083-560-1185. Scottburgh has first class facilities with great restaurants offering fantastic sea views and a waterslide; there are also curio sellers in the vicinity and fast food outlets.
4. World class waveriders - This event will see the likes of Rob Chrystal (Umhlanga), Gavin Spowart (Westville), Alwin van Breda (La Lucia), Jason Wright (Ballito), Dave Pons (Umhlanga) and Bryn James (PMB) powering up. As per 2007 the event will be run as a wave riding event were the judging will be based on wave riding ability combined with risky moves.
5. Its anyone’s game – even though big names are in attendance, there are still plenty of kiters out there with the potential to seriously disrupt the pecking order. And to sweeten the pot –t he events total prize purse is a healthy 30k.
6. Longboarding and SUP – both sports will be contested, and showcased in the event, this means a buzzing beach with lots of people around to admire your abilities as a kiter! If there is a ‘no wind’ day – you can always get someone to show you a thing or two about SUPing – I know I’m going to, anyone else keen?
In short, a great weekend on the beach! Who’s with me?
Pic Credits: P. Godwin Nerve Events